Detox is cleansing the body of trapped toxins, waste products, and unhealthy chemicals. These compounds enter the body with poor-quality food, polluted air and water, contaminated personal care products, and synthetic medications. Over time, these toxins build up and may cause many side effects and health issues!
Luckily, detox teas are some of the universal natural cleansing methods and are extremely affordable. In this review, we picked 10 fabulous detox teas prepared from herbs with scientifically confirmed action, little to no side effects, and a price tag that doesn’t bite.
- EveryDay Detox Tea by Traditional Medicinals
- Detox Tea by Triple Leaf
- Berry DeTox Tea by Yogi
- Zerotea 14-Day Detox Tea by Fatbom
- Raw Organic Dandelion Root Tea by Kiss Me Organics
- Detox Energizing Tea Blend by SkinnyFit
- Night Time Detox Blend by Tealyra
- Colon Cleanse Detox Tea by Teami
- Flor Essence Gentle Detox by Flora
- Green Tea Blueberry Slim Life by Yogi
- Common Detox Tea Questions
1. EveryDay Detox Tea by Traditional Medicinals
This is the best detox tea for liver cleansing, featuring multiple herbs with hepatoprotective action. Components like Lycium and schisandra are also fabulous for improving insulin sensitivity, which also aids in supporting liver function.
2. Detox Tea by Triple Leaf
Triple Leaf is a veteran in the herbal teas niche, offering premium blends created in accordance with the best practices of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Their signature detox tea is one of the most effective detox teas for skin health, but it also has additional benefits for the digestive tract. Many people use it primarily to fight off bloating and indigestion.
3. Berry DeTox Tea by Yogi
One common problem many people face when taking detox teas is their herbal flavor. When natural sweeteners don’t help, and you still can’t drink pure herbal blends, try the Berry Detox by Yogi, the best berry-flavored detox tea we know. This could be the perfect middle ground between healthy and tasty, featuring a strong antioxidant herbal blend with organic berry flavoring.
4. Zerotea 14-Day Detox Tea by Fatbom
If your primary goal is boosting metabolism, aiding weight loss, and flushing out toxins trapped in body fat deposits, here’s a great option. Right now, the 14-Day Detox program by Fatbom is one of the best detox teas for metabolism support and weight loss. Cinnamon, cloves, peppercorn, and orange peels over a base of green tea and organic rooibos provide potent antioxidants to neutralize toxins, speed up metabolism, and soothe hidden inflammation.
5. Raw Organic Dandelion Root Tea by Kiss Me Organics
Dandelion root is one of the most effective botanicals for kidney and liver support. However, it’s often sold roasted, and this form contains a lower level of active phytochemicals and beneficial enzymes. This particular tea is made from the raw dandelion root to preserve all of its healing power, and that’s why it’s currently the best detox tea for supporting kidney and liver function.
6. Detox Energizing Tea Blend by SkinnyFit
Cleansing the body from trapped toxins takes a lot of energy due to the number of enzymes and organs involved. If you need extra help, this blend by SkinnyFit is among the most effective detox teas with energizing action thanks to the natural guarana as one of its ingredients.
7. Night Time Detox Blend by Tealyra
The lavender and chamomile in this blend make it the perfect detox tea for better sleep. Enjoy it one hour before bed to gently calm the nervous system and fall asleep easier while licorice, peppermint, and hibiscus remove the toxins as your body rests.
8. Colon Cleanse Detox Tea by Teami
For those dealing with irregular bowel movements, bloating, and other symptoms, this herbal blend is one of the most convenient detox teas for digestive health. Contrary to other colon cleansing teas, it doesn’t have significant laxative action and, in fact, should be taken before bed and left to work overnight. Gently promotes bowel movements in the morning to start the day cleansed and refreshed.
9. Flor Essence Gentle Detox by Flora
Inspired by a traditional Native American herbal formula, this blend is one of the best detox teas for daily use. Its gentle yet powerful action is perfect to support the natural cleansing potential of the body with a healthy supply of diverse antioxidants and phytochemicals.
10. Green Tea Blueberry Slim Life by Yogi
Many natural detox programs involve fasting, which doesn’t come easily for some people. Suppose you’ve been struggling with cravings or hunger during your cleanse. In that case, this blend is the best detox tea with appetite-suppressing action thanks to its formula’s Garcinia Cambogia fruit extract. Studies have reported that the hydroxy citric acid (HCA) in garcinia Cambogia effectively curbs appetite and reduces fat accumulation in the body.1
Common Detox Tea Questions
If you’re new to drinking detox tea, most likely, you have a few questions bothering you. Here are the most common ones we’ve heard from our readers previously.
How Long Should You Drink Detox Tea?
There is no single recommendation on how long you should drink detox tea. Scientific evidence on this matter has been inconclusive so far. Still, the general approach is to take these blends for as long as you feel comfortable unless recommended otherwise by the manufacturer. For advice on particular health issues, consider contacting your primary health provider.
Some people take detox tea daily for gentle long-term support of their body’s systems, others prefer cleansing courses lasting anywhere from 7 to 28 days or more. For weight loss and insulin sensitivity improvement, most detox courses last for at least 7 to 11 days.2 Chronic and long-lasting health issues may require weeks or months for relief.
Do Detox Teas Help Weight Loss?
The available evidence on this matter is inconclusive, and scientists worldwide are looking into the matter. However, preliminary evidence on specific herbs is quite encouraging:
- Garcinia cambogia contains a compound called hydroxy citric acid (HCA). HCA may help to suppress appetite and reduce the accumulation of body fat.1
- The catechins in green tea appear to increase the effectiveness of physical exercise in burning body fat, especially in the abdominal area.3
- According to a few small studies, Yerba mate also has confirmed anti-obesity effects.4
In general, more research is definitely needed, but so far, we can be sure that taking herbal detox tea is a safe strategy that brings self-perceived improvements for thousands of people.
Do Detox Teas Have Any Side Effects?
Most people tolerate the vast majority of detox teas well and usually have little to no side effects, especially when consumed according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. At most, some people with sensitive stomachs may experience a period of mild indigestion while they get used to the herbal blend.
However, keep an eye on the caffeine content in your detox tea. Unknown to most people, green tea, matcha, and yerba mate also contains caffeine, albeit in lesser amounts than regular coffee. While this shouldn’t be a problem for most people, caffeine-sensitive folks are recommended to limit their daily intake of these detox teas. Drinking 3 to 5 natural caffeinated drinks (tea, coffee) per day isn’t likely to cause any side effects.
- Ohia, Sunny E et al. “Safety and mechanism of appetite suppression by a novel hydroxycitric acid extract (HCA-SX).” Molecular and cellular biochemistry vol. 238,1-2 (2002): 89-103.
- Kim, Mi Joung et al. “Lemon detox diet reduced body fat, insulin resistance, and serum hs-CRP level without hematological changes in overweight Korean women.” Nutrition research (New York, N.Y.) vol. 35,5 (2015): 409-20.
- Maki, Kevin C et al. “Green Tea Catechin Consumption Enhances Exercise-Induced Abdominal Fat Loss in Overweight and Obese Adults.” The Journal of Nutrition vol. 139,2 (2009): 264-70.
- Kim, Sun-Young et al. “Anti-obesity effects of Yerba Mate (Ilex Paraguariensis): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.” BMC complementary and alternative medicine vol. 15 (2015): 338.