This article has been medically reviewed by Dr. Charles Penick, MD
Many factors can lead to hormones becoming imbalanced. Stress, poor nutrition, menopause, and lack of sleep are some of the most common causes. In this article, we will discuss how essential oils can help maintain a proper hormone balance.
What Causes Hormone Imbalances? | Hormone Balancing Essential Oils | Where To Find Essential Oils
What Causes Hormone Imbalances?
In its simplest terms, hormonal imbalances can occur if there are too many (or too few) hormones in the bloodstream. This imbalance can happen when the endocrine glands don’t function properly: they produce, store, and release hormones into the blood. Endocrine glands control the following organs:
- Pineal gland
- Parathyroid glands
- Pituitary gland
- Hypothalamus gland
- Adrenal glands
The study of the endocrine system and its importance is not new: the Chinese studied “endocrinology” over 2,000 years ago.
Hormone Balancing Essential Oils
Essential oils have been used for centuries in a variety of ways. One such method is helping to balance hormones. Here are some of the top essential oils used for hormone imbalances:
Clary Sage Oil
Clary sage comes from the herb Salvia sclarea. The oil is extracted through a steam distillation process. Clary sage helps regulate various hormones such as cortisol and estrogen. In one study on pregnant women, clary sage decreased cortisol levels.1 Another study found clary sage (and other essential oils) helped increase salivary estrogen concentrations and relieve premenopausal symptoms in women.2
Lavender is a small, evergreen shrub in the mint family. It has been used in aromatherapy for thousands of years to relieve feelings of stress and anxiety. Smelling lavender for five minutes decreased cortisol levels in test subjects’ saliva.3 Elevated cortisol levels contribute to chronic stress and increase susceptibility to health issues such as decreased cognitive function, blood sugar imbalances, and cardiovascular disease.
Ylang-ylang (Cananga odorata)
A yellow, star-shaped flower, ylang-ylang, grows on the Cananga Tree. The tree is found primarily in Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Australia, and the Philippines. Ancient healers in the Philippines used ylang-ylang to treat cuts, burns, and bites from snakes and insects. Current research on the flower has found it decreases systolic and diastolic blood pressure increases alertness and decreases stress levels.4
Bergamot plants are typically grown to attract butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees. They were consumed as a beverage by the Oswego American Indian tribe for hundreds of years. Consumption of bergamot reduces total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol.5 (Elevated cholesterol levels can increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes). When bergamot was used as aromatherapy for 15 minutes on healthy females, cortisol levels, negative emotions, and fatigue were reduced.6
Ancient Egyptians often used thyme in the embalming process for mummies. The Ancient Greeks saw thyme as a sign of grace and elegance. Today, the herb is used to season various dishes, including vegetables, soups, and stews. Studies on lab animals found thyme (along with ginger) “can be used as a growth promoter for improving reproductive performance of V-line male rabbits.”7
Where To Find Essential Oils
Most health food stores carry essential oils. The best choices are organic essential oils that don’t contain GMOs, pesticides, or other harmful additives. Organic essential oils can also be purchased online.
The products from Revelation Health are Dr. Pompa’s trusted source for essential oils and other products. Click on the links below for more information on each:
Clary Sage Essential Oil Organic
Simply Organic – Thyme Leaf (Organic)
Ylang Ylang III Essential Oil Pure Organic
A variety of factors can cause hormone imbalances. Menopause, chronic stress, and poor dietary habits could all impact hormone levels. Essential oils have been used for centuries to treat various ailments; recent studies show they may help keep the hormones balanced and maintain good health. Hormone imbalances can cause various health issues and decrease a person’s quality of life. Consider adding essential oils to your health regimen. Your body might thank you.
Medical Disclaimer: This article is based on the opinions of The Cell Health team. The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified healthcare professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended to share knowledge and information from the research and experience of the Cell Health team. This article has been medically reviewed by Dr. Charles Penick, MD, for the accuracy of the information provided. Still, we encourage you to make your own healthcare decisions based on your research and in partnership with a qualified healthcare professional.
- Yuriko Tadokoro, Shigeko Horiuchi, Kaori Takahata (et al). Changes In Salivary Oxytocin After Inhalation Of Clary Sage Essential Oil Scent In Term-Pregnant Women: A Feasibility Pilot Study. BMC Res Notes. 2017 Dec 8;10(1):717. doi: 10.1186/s13104-017-3053-3. [PMID: 29216912] PMCID: PMC5721455.https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29216912/
- Kazuyuki Shinohara, Hirokazu Doi, Chizu Kumagai (et al). Effects Of Essential Oil Exposure On Salivary Estrogen Concentration In Perimenopausal Women. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2017 Jan;37(8):567-572. [PMID: 28326753].https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28326753/
- Toshiko Atsumi, Keiichi Tonosaki. Smelling Lavender and Rosemary Increases Free Radical Scavenging Activity And Decreases Cortisol Level In Saliva. Psychiatry Res. 2007 Feb 28;150(1):89-96. doi: 10.1016/j.psychres.2005.12.012. Epub 2007 Feb 7. [PMID: 17291597].https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17291597/
- Loh Teng Hern Tan, Learn Han Lee, Wai Fong Yin (et al). Traditional Uses, Phytochemistry, And Bioactivities Of Cananga Odorata (Ylang-Ylang). Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015; 2015: 896314. [PMID: 26294929].https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4534619/
- Mirielle C Nauman Jeremy J Johnson.Clinical Application Of Bergamot ( Citrus Bergamia) For Reducing High Cholesterol And Cardiovascular Disease Markers. Integr Food Nutr Metab. 2019 Mar;6(2):10.15761/IFNM.1000249. doi: 10.15761/IFNM.1000249. Epub 2019 Feb 28. [PMID: 31057945].https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31057945/
- Eri Watanabe 1, Kenny Kuchta, Mari Kimura, Hans Wilhelm Rauwald, (et al).Effects Of Bergamot ( Citrus Bergamia (Risso) Wright & Arn.) Essential Oil Aromatherapy On Mood States, Parasympathetic Nervous System Activity, And Salivary Cortisol Levels In 41 Healthy Females. Forsch Komplementmed. 2015;22(1):43-9. doi: 10.1159/000380989. Epub 2015 Feb 19. PMID: 25824404.https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25824404/
- Mohamed Ahmed Kandeil 1, Alaa El-Deen H Mohamed 2, Mohammed Abdel Gabbar.Ameliorative Effects Of Oral Ginger And/Or Thyme Aqueous Extracts On Productive And Reproductive Performance Of V-Line Male Rabbits. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl). 2019 Sep;103(5):1437-1446. doi: 10.1111/jpn.13147. Epub 2019 Jul 23. [PMID: 31334576]. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31334576/